In this tensile test, also known as tension test or pull test essential mechanical properties of a molding are determined. These characteristic values are mostly used for comparison purposes. The characteristic values are: tensile stress: force with reference to the initial cross-section of the specimen.
- Strain: change in gage length with reference to the initial gage-length
- Tensile modulus: gradient of the curve in the stress-strain diagram
- Yield point: stress and strain at the point on the curve at which the gradient is zero
- Point of failure: stress and strain at the moment of specimen break
- Poisson’s ratio: negative ratio of transverse strain to axial strain